Pinhole Surgery Technique (PST)
Pinhole Surgery Technique (PST) is a gentle, noninvasive form of surgery to make your gums less likely to recede further and to cover as much of the exposed root as possible. It requires no tissue from the roof of your mouth (what is called grafting). It is done through small pinholes so there are no incisions and almost never requires sutures. Since there is no incision, the side effects of discomfort, swelling and bleeding are kept to a minimum. The procedure is done with only local anesthesia and takes anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half depending on how many areas are treated. A special instrument is inserted into a pinhole size opening and gently loosens the tissue so it can be moved down into the proper position. Collagen is then placed to help hold the tissue in place during healing. The result is immediate! (See Actual Patient Photo’s Below)
What are the benefits of this innovative way to treat gum recession for our patients?
- No Incisions - No need to cut and graft tissue
- No Sutures - Tissues held in place with collagen rather than sutures
- Minimal Side Effects - Since there is no incision, patients will experience little to no discomfort, swelling, and bleeding during and after the procedure.
- Instant Results - The PST procedure appointment is much shorter than the traditional gum surgery and because of minimal side effects, most patients return to work the very next day.
- Cosmetic Results- PST procedures give an instantly noticeable cosmetic result. The small entry opening is barely noticeable and is usually healed within days.
This is a patient with gum recession that has bothered her for years.
This is she what they looked like at the end of surgery!